As Ghana enters its second half-century there is a widespread perception of failure of the economic and political system in delivering improved living standards to the population. This failure comes despite a solid transition to democracy, despite a recorded recovery from the economic malaise of previous decades and despite a reduction on measured levels of poverty. The contributors in this book analyse the reasons for this failure and sets out an analytical agenda as the basis of the course that the nations' policy makers will have to steer if Ghana is to fulfil the promise of its independence in 1957.
ERNEST ARYEETEY is Director of the Institute of Statistical, Social & Economic Research, University of Ghana at Legon; RAVI KANBUR is Professor of Economics at Cornell University.
The contributors include: Ernest Aryeetey, Ravi Kanbur, Tony Killick, Augustin Fosu, Charles E. Youngblood, David L. Franklin, Stephen Kyereme, Frank W. Agbola, Susanna Wolf, Daniel Bruce Sarpong, Peter Quartey, Theresa Blankson, Thierry Buchs, Johan Mathiesen, William F. Steel, David O. Andah, Harold Coulombe, Anthony Tsekpo, Charles D. Jebuni, Andy Mckay, Nii K.Sowa, Kojo Appiah-Kubi, Abena Oduro, Bernadin Senadza, Felix A. Asante, Joseph R.A. Ayee, Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong, Elizabeth N. Appiah, Niels-Hugo Blunch, G.J.M. Van Den Boom, N.N.N. Nsowah-Nuamah, and, G.B. Overbosch.
Ghana: Woeli Publishing Services(PB)
A welcome addition to the scanty literature on problems in economic development in Africa in general and Ghana in particular. The book will be useful for graduate students in African economic development. Recommended. CHOICE
First Published: 20 Nov 2008
13 Digit ISBN: 9781847010032
Size: 22.8 x 15.2
Imprint: James Currey
BIC Class: GTB
Details updated on 29 Jul 2015
- 1 Ghana's economy at half-century
- 2 What drives change in Ghana?
- 3 Ghana's post-independence economic growth: 1960-2000
- 4 Persistent public sector deficits ¯oeconomic instability in Ghana
- 5 Persistent public sector deficits & macroeconomic instability in Ghana
- 6 Effects of exchange-rate volatility & changes in macroeconomic fundamentals on economic growth in Ghana
- 7 Ghana's exchange-rate reform & its impact on balance of trade
- 8 Export performance & investment behaviour of firms in Ghana
- 9 Household savings in Ghana: does policy matter?
- 10 Banking competition & efficiency in Ghana
- 11 Rural & microfinance regulation in Ghana: implications for development of the industry
- 12 Ghana census-based poverty map
- 13 Budget implementation & poverty reduction in Ghana
- 14 Does inflation in Ghana hit the poor harder?
- 15 Understanding poverty in Ghana: risk & vulnerability
- 16 Understanding povertyin Ghana: risk & vulnerability
- 17 Understanding poverty in Ghana: risk & vulnerability
- 18 Decentralization & poverty reduction
- 19 Technical efficiency in Ghanaian secondary education
- 20 Maternal literacy & numeracy skills & child health in Ghana
- 21 Health-care provision & self-medication in Ghana