Great Driffield, a thriving market town serving an extensive agricultural hinterland, stands at the junction of the Yorkshire Wolds and Holderness. The centre of an important Anglo-Saxon manor, in royal hands in the early middle ages, the main settlement was transformed from a large village into a boom town following the opening of a canal in 1770 that linked it to the expanding markets of Hull and the West Riding; its social, religious and political life flourished in the Victorian period particularly. This volume covers its history and that of its adjoining rural townships of Little Driffield, Elmswell and Kelleythorpe, from the Neolithic period to the beginning of the twenty-first century; it provides the first detailed account of the town's trades and industries, as well as exploring landownership, local government, and social, religious and political life.
The editors are former staff of the University of Hull.
First Published: 19 Apr 2012
13 Digit ISBN: 9781904356110
Size: 30.4 x 20.8
Imprint: Victoria County History
Series: Victoria County History
Subject: Early Modern History
Details updated on 25 May 2013
- 1 Great Driffield and its Townships
- 2 Great and Little Driffield
- 3 Elmswell and Kelleythorpe
- 4 Sources
- 5 Index